Juicing my way to a healthier lifestyle

Feb 27

I used to consider myself as leading a fairly healthy lifestyle. I don’t drink, I don’t smoke. Sure, I’d have the occasional take out and moderate amounts of chocolate but thought I was balancing it out by going to the gym 4 – 5 times a week. Of course, the damage had been done years ago. Working shifts resulted in late meals. Finishing a plate of food, not because I was still hungry but because it was “oh so delicious” and I didn’t want to waste it. My inability to say no to bread. Snacking during dinner preparation. I think we all know our downfalls.

And even though for the past three to four years my main staple consisted of a lot of fresh fruit, vegetables and fish; and with all those personal training sessins at the gym, I still wasn’t getting the results I hoped for. Or at least, it was a very slow process.

Then one day, a few photographer friends were exchanging juicing recipes. Those who had done it for years, sounded so passionate and excited about it. I was definitely intrigued by the conversation I was following. My friend Lindsay posted up a link for the movie “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead” stating “if this won’t get you into juicing, nothing else will!”. I wasn’t sick or nearly dead. But I most definitely needed to shift some serious pounds. I watched the movie the same night. It’s AMAZING. The following day, I ordered my first ever juicer.

As I waited for the juicer to arrive, I researched more about juicing and the film maker himself, Joe Cross. Reading the testimonials on his Twitter page, I knew I was on to something good. Something that would work, whilst being healthy. Planning my first shopping list was fun, if slightly odd! Strictly fruit and veg only. I couldn’t wait to get started!

_0291The juicer came with a recipe book by Jason Vale. Packed full with delicious flavours and useful information. Such as which fruit and vegetables are not suited for juicing but perfect for blending. For the first two weeks, I religiously wrote down the combinations, how much I was spending, how I was feeling and the weight loss. Having read Joe’s Twitter page I saw that a few people complained about headaches or nausea within the first week. Joe always reassures that this is quite normal plus it usually confirms how badly some individuals needed this detox. “If you led a fairly healthy lifestyle before, you should feel just fine. If you get headaches, then this is your body adjusting to the change.”

_0293_0295To this date, I never experienced any headaches or other issues. Within days of juicing, my energy was through the roof! I have more clarity. My hair has grown stronger. Over 30 days, I lost 31 pounds/14 kilos/2.20 stones. My clothes are becoming loose. I am light footed. I feel more confident. And did I mention that my energy is through the roof?!!

_0292_0290This isn’t a diet. It’s a lifestyle. And even though I thought I had a fairly decent relationship with food before, it has developed to a whole new level. New ways of thinking – we all know how much psychology is involved when it comes to food! I am still juicing in the morning and most lunches but after 40 days, I slowly reintroduced healthy foods for dinner. Mornings and lunches were never a problem for me. I didn’t have cravings or felt hungry (unless I didn’t take enough juice into work with me). But I did miss the joy of planning and preparing a meal in the evening. I haven’t put on any weight since I started eating again. And that is because I am eating the right foods, in moderation and at the right time. I have maintained the weight and I continue to lose at a slightly slower rate. I will carry on juicing until I have reached my target 🙂

_0294I soo recommend juicing. Of course we’re all different and a straight juice only for 30 days or longer isn’t for everyone. However, the beauty of juicing is that you can taylor it to your needs. You could do a combination of juicing and some foods. And for the longer juice fasts, medical supervision is recommended.

Do it. Watch Joe’s movie. Your mind and body will thank you for it. It’s been lifechanging for me. Juice on!!

comments +

1. Cindy Schultz

February 28th, 2013 at 5:42 am

In June, I joined Weight Watchers at Work which is so convenient. I have lost over 50 pounds but have been STUCK for a few weeks. I joined a gym with my daughter in late December and was hitting it 5 to 6 times a week. Lately I have had minimal weight loss..6 lbs., 0 lbs.,.6 lbs………it is coming off soooooooo slowly. So, I am frustrated and getting sloppy. I have to get serious again. This just might be the ticket. Thanks for sharing lady!

2. Cindy Schultz

February 28th, 2013 at 5:43 am

BTW–that is 6/10s of a pound…….not 6 pounds……..

3. Stephanie May de Montigny

February 28th, 2013 at 10:47 am

You're doing great! And you look great! Remember muscle weighs more! So if you just started at the gym you're toning up even if you don't see the weight loss. We just started at the gym, too, and I feel so much better mentally–helps me deal with stress. It helped us make it through the winter.

4. Anja King

March 1st, 2013 at 12:33 am

Cindy, 50 lbs = that is awesome!
    But yes, look into that movie – it's so inspiring 🙂

5. Anja King

March 1st, 2013 at 12:34 am

Stephanie May de Montigny – nothing like that flushed feeling after a great gym workout! Keep it up 🙂

6. Carola Buscaroli

February 28th, 2013 at 6:12 am

Ah! Now I understand why you have been temporarily vegan! Go you!
    So you lost almost as much as I did in a whole year – in only 30 days! Not fair lol.
    Nah really that's fabulous and I'm very happy for you! Congrats honeynut!
    Well I guess I couldn't do it I mean just drinking juice only for 30 days in a row (sounds like "Fasten" to me). I need something to chew on too. But I'm very happy to have changed my eating habits from omnivore to vegetarian and then to vegan. I can totally relate to feeling light footed, more confident, full of energy and yes my clothes are becoming more loose every week too. I even need a belt now to hold my pants up and from hole one at the beginning I can now put it easily in hole 5.
    Instead of a juicer our favorite kitchen toy since 9 months is a Vitamix, which is a powerhorse blender. I love making fresh green smoothies with it! It even crushes ice cubes easily and frozen fruit so that we can make our own healthy sorbet. And best is that we can make our own healthy nut puree (Nussmus/Mandelmus) with it too. If Rox will move out we'll have to fight about it, because we paid for it half and half since it costs almost 600,00 €. We also eat a lot more raw food now. And every few months we do a 30 days challenge after the book Vegan for fit from Attila Hildmann which will be available in English language soon. If you ever need some delicious (animal free) recipes let me now!
    Yes keep on the healthy life style dude! 🙂
    Lifechanging indeed and I now for sure that I'll never go back to my old eating habits!
    Chestnut x

7. Anja King

March 1st, 2013 at 12:32 am

Wow Chestnut! Sounds like we're both on quite the journey 🙂
    Someone told me about the Vitamix, it's definite;y an investment but what's better than investing into your health, right?
    And yes, I love knowing that I'll never go back. I am not even remotely tempted by certain foods I used to eat. But I may have to treat myself to the new Currywurst shop I recently discovered near my work 😉

8. Carola Buscaroli

March 1st, 2013 at 6:15 am

Anja King We sure are! 🙂
    Yep absof……lutely!
    Okay I can understand your craving for Currywurst because you could not have it for such a long time, but I hope you'll realise how bad it is for your health and will have enough of it, afterwards 😉 Wurst has the highest amount of animal fat possible!